Geek Native Interview

Sazeral

According to the interview, all playable species will be alien and not Tau'ri. Why have you chosen this exactly? Because I find that kind of limiting, especially considering the Stargate franchise is about us Earthlings getting out there. Having variation by being able to play as different alien species is of course very good, but why remove the most important human race from the franchise? Granted, if you can play as a non-Earth human and if there are rules for Earth equipment like weapons and gadgets, then there shouldn't be a problem to create Tau'ri characters, but it still seems very odd for a Stargate game. That's almost like saying you can't play a human in Star Wars or as Starfleet in Star Trek.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NickEast said:

According to the interview, all playable species will be alien and not Tau'ri. Why have you chosen this exactly? Because I find that kind of limiting, especially considering the Stargate franchise is about us Earthlings getting out there. Having variation by being able to play as different alien species is of course very good, but why remove the most important human race from the franchise? Granted, if you can play as a non-Earth human and if there are rules for Earth equipment like weapons and gadgets, then there shouldn't be a problem to create Tau'ri characters, but it still seems very odd for a Stargate game. That's almost like saying you can't play a human in Star Wars or as Starfleet in Star Trek.

We're still debating this internally as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 9:24 PM, NickEast said:

According to the interview, all playable species will be alien and not Tau'ri.

They can't be serious. that's literally what Stargate is. If you can't be an SG team tor Atlantis team, then its not a Stargate game, it a generic Sci-Fi.

Hopefully this inst the way it goes 😞

• Like 2

Definitely need the Tau'ri option. It isn't Stargate without it. If there's concern about crossing continuities then open it up to alternate universes.

Considering the introduction of a new race, it is already a split continuity, even if MGM considers it "canon" it is not the same continuity as the shows.

Edited by StargateSean
  • Like 1

The thing is, is this meant to be a "Stargate: Phoenix" RPG, a spinoff of the series, or an actual "Stargate" RPG? That should clarify things. Because usually when a TTRPG is developed based on an IP, it is meant to allow players to play within that IP's universe, with little restrictions other than what can fit in the books. The core rulebook usually explains the rules and provides character and adventure creation rules for the core elements of the series. Star Trek Adventures allows you to create Starfleet characters and ships to create stories like the shows, with supplements adding rules for other species. Star Wars allows you to play as Jedi, Sith, smugglers, soldiers, bounty hunters, etc. Everything you're used to in the shows/movies. The original Stargate RPG did the same, providing a breakdown of the story as it existed back then, describing the SGC, Goa'uld Empire, etc. Then it provided rules for all major species, Tau'ri, Jaffa, Tok'ra, Asgard, etc. It didn't restrict the kind of stories you could tell. It also provided character sheets based on all major characters, with supplements adding more NPCs based on each season that existed at that point.

Based on what I read about "Phoenix", it's not something I'd be interested in. I want to create SG/AR teams, as cliche as that sounds but I imagine a lot of fans would want that too. I already have my own story that I wanted to write fan-fiction for, which is centered around SG-7 (since that team was neither seen nor heard from again after the original team was killed by Nirrti in "Singularity"), and it's also set during season 6. As SG teams, and Stargate Command, are such important aspects of the Stargate universe, I would think that and other canon material would have a higher priority than non-canon material designed just for the RPG. For example, Star Trek Adventures has a Living Campaign with a series of episodic stories taking place party in the TOS era and mainly in 2171 (S3/4 of DS9), based around four pre-designed starships and is set in a region of space designed specifically for the game. Yet the rules are not restricted just to those stories, everyone can still create any other kind of Star Trek story, even including canon material like the Enterprise or DS9 and their crew, set in any of the main eras.

Edited by NickEast
  • Like 1

I am into the "need tau'ri" side too. We are talking about the Fifth Race, the "second advent" of the alterans. Its hard to imagine Stargate without having Earthlings messing galaxies around, bringing bad guys down and acting as the "glue" for unlikely alliances (jaffas - Tok'ra, for example).

On other topic, adventures around the SG-7? Wouldn't that be pretty boring? I mean, it's a scientific team. They are deployed to study alien devices or weird phenomena, while people at SG-1, 2, 4 or 10 gets all the fun: exploration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bahamut_A6M5 said:

On other topic, adventures around the SG-7? Wouldn't that be pretty boring? I mean, it's a scientific team. They are deployed to study alien devices or weird phenomena, while people at SG-1, 2, 4 or 10 gets all the fun: exploration.

The original team is dead, there is nothing that says the new team has to have the exact same specialty. In my setting, SG-7 has just been newly assembled as a secondary to SG-1 (that is, a multi-focus team), hence why they are sent on the missions that my story centers around. That was also the point of me picking that team designation, as it was never seen nor heard from again throughout the rest of the series, so it contradicts nothing (though my plot may be very slightly contradictory)

Edited by NickEast
  • Like 1

I believe Tau'ri should be a variant human option. I'm all for Phoenix site but i want to have my players be a mixed team because I have a few that are not as versed in the lore. If its all new and strange to their characters i don't need to make or explain seasons of the show to them.

• Like 1

This Stargate RPG looks like it might be a fun one, and hopefully it proves to be successful, although there are concerns about some of the decisions that have already been made and that might be made prior to its release.

Continuity:

With the introduction of a new race that was not present in the original movie or 3 shows, along with a number of other elements about this RPG, this game is a split continuity. It might help to market it as being part of an alternate universe so fans are aware of the differences. If anything, it could help soften the blow for those expecting something that could have been more true to those productions.

Timeline:

It sounds like this is based off of season 6 of Stargate SG-1, which is a great part of the history, although it would be nice to have the option of choosing any time. Time travel is an important part of the franchise. If anything, this RPG can start in the present, then travel to that point in the timeline, while still allowing characters to travel to the future or past. Of course, some or many players may do that anyway. Might as well write it in.

At the core of it all, however, Stargate has always been based in the present - that is, the present at the time of the production - so basing this RPG on the past, while rehashing memorable elements from the series can be nice, is just another step away from the foundation that the franchise was built upon. Starting the story out in the present day would at least be a way to maintain some of that foundation.

Earth is and always has been home. Sure, the shows took place in other locations - Atlantis in Pegasus, Universe across the universe - and those other places even become a "second home", although they always started on Earth. In most of them, they even returned to Earth. This is based on Stargate SG-1. Earth is home. The Phoenix offsite location can fit nicely into this, if it is simply that: an offsite location.

Tau'ri:

Considering how significant of a presence the Tau'ri have with the entire franchise, it would be a grave mistake to exclude them, enough that it would likely result in sending many fans away from this game, with Wyvern losing money, and Stargate fans spending their money on other RPG sources, opening up to different rulesets that may be more fitting for a more authentic Stargate RPG experience.

Edited by StargateSean
  • Like 1

Hey guys, we very much appreciate your feedback and want you to know that it was heard. Upon careful consideration and consultation on how the US military handles armed coalition forces. We have decided that it totally makes sense that Tau'ri forces and personal would defiantly be included in a base of this type.

Tau'ri will be a human race option.

Thanks!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear about that choice. I don't know how you've structured the races but, perhaps, tau'ri could be the base template for humans (as the goa'uld took slaves from Earth to populate their domains beyond the stars) and create other near-humans* from that point.

Also, as we are talking about races, is some thought in the team about including reetou or reol?

* It's the term used in Stargate SG-1 RPG for those humans evolved in other planets but with different social, scientific, technological and/or biological evolution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I so hope Earthers are a focus in the game. I see the Dev said they will be an option. Don't know what that means for the overall feel of the setting they are creating. The reason I love Stargate is that with all the crazy tech and villains, it is about humans, military service people going out and getting the job done. Stargate is military scifi, not space fantasy. The latter seems to be the way Wyvern is going. I hope not. All of the source material still centers around human characters with fun aliens added, not aliens with the quirky human. If that is the way the game is going, I can play Starfinder for that and the old AEG game for the Stargate feel. That being said, I am still on board to try it and my group would look to playtest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

I so hope Earthers are a focus in the game. I see the Dev said they will be an option. Don't know what that means for the overall feel of the setting they are creating. The reason I love Stargate is that with all the crazy tech and villains, it is about humans, military service people going out and getting the job done. Stargate is military scifi, not space fantasy. The latter seems to be the way Wyvern is going. I hope not. All of the source material still centers around human characters with fun aliens added, not aliens with the quirky human. If that is the way the game is going, I can play Starfinder for that and the old AEG game for the Stargate feel. That being said, I am still on board to try it and my group would look to playtest.

this is  very true to the core aesthetic of the series and hopefully the game.  However I do know that its not just the tau'ri taking the fight to the goa'uld.  As far as the trials and tribulations of the SGC on earth we have pretty much seen all there is to be seen from that particular perspective.  where making the Humans of Earth an option and not the core focus hints that this particular incarnation of the game is most likely going to be centrally focused on the rebellions of the other Xenos against their oppressors!  either way this game is going to be the bomb diggity.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LiberatorJ4ff4 said:

this is  very true to the core aesthetic of the series and hopefully the game.  However I do know that its not just the tau'ri taking the fight to the goa'uld.  As far as the trials and tribulations of the SGC on earth we have pretty much seen all there is to be seen from that particular perspective.  where making the Humans of Earth an option and not the core focus hints that this particular incarnation of the game is most likely going to be centrally focused on the rebellions of the other Xenos against their oppressors!  either way this game is going to be the bomb diggity.  

I agree with some of your statements. And as the series progressed, the rebellions did become more of a focus but it never overshadowed the fight of the Tuari. The Tuari lead the fight. The game does not have to be all about the SGC, but it should be one of the main focuses with the military side as a big part. SGP seems to me as a great location sourcebook more than a main focus for the overall game.

That being said, I am excited to see a Stargate game in print again.

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 2

I believe SGP is more a location for the story of the game but the rules and what not could be used for a homebrew of the SGC. They stated in the interview that they will have a story recap of the show to the point the game takes place so its not ignoring anything. In fact that's why they made the SGP so they can make a new canon story. Finally the SGP is still run by the military its just not all Tau'ri.

• Like 2

I like the idea of playing as Unas or other races from the series.

If you have rules on humans, jaffa etc. it is not that hard to homebrew a new race, Wraith 🙂 for example friendly Wraith ofc

Do you guys think that they will add new and more interesting feats?

Edited by Bragnak

4 minutes ago, noirx15 said:

I'm excited to see how the leveling works with the feats and such it sounds like 5e meets pathfinder 2e. I'm also excited to see what they do with the "magic" idea. I hope we get the open playtest soon

Magic is replaced by technology 🙂 

I am also curious about that leveling etc.

• Like 1