Walker

Team Leadership

Are the Teams still lead strictly by the military, or is there some civilian oversight, as well?  Also, will there be a rank mechanic, of some kind in the game?

It's hard getting a questions about anything not in beta answered. As of right now Rank is not in beta (atleast I didn't see it.)

I've been operating under the assumption that Phoenix teams -- as in those specifically wearing human military uniforms and following the commands of the General -- are lead by the human military

7 hours ago, chpexplorer said:

I wonder if you can promote or be demoted 

Meaning if whatever character is in charge of the team can promote people?

Probably not, but the General can.

I had a chance to read through the current beta version last night. Based on what we see in the shows, teams are ALWAYS led by military personnel. It's safe to assume that everybody on the team will hold either a military or GS rank. There are some civilian GS ranks, that outweigh military rank, though, it should be understood that unless stated otherwise in the warning or op order that a civilian is in command of the mission, that commend defaults to the team leader. Take the movie Predator, for example. Dutch was the senior soldier on the mission, but Dillon (a civilian with a higher GS rank) was technically in charge.

Unless this is specifically addressed, I think I may find it easier to inject an NPC into the group, as the ranking officer. Having run military-themed campaign in other settings, it is almost always a sure bet that the player put in command always lets it go to his head. This isn't normally a problem in fantasy settings, where one player will usually naturally emerge as the de facto leader. The military is a different animal altogether.

Tau'ri teams always have military leaders. Logically as teh SGP is sometimes touted as aliens operating under human leadership you could extend that but just as easily you could classify the human members of a majority alien team as "technical advisors"...