bt confused on how to convert movement to grid map

tetrasodium

I'm a bit unsure on how to convert movement to a grid map.  most(all?) the races have a base speed of 6m & that translates well to ~5 feet  (so 1 square?), but I'm not sure being limited to moving one square/round would work out.  A lot of things have 1m ranges though ... does that mean you can throw a grenade 20 squares, shoot a sidearm 50/100 squares, & shoot a long arm an  incredible 200/1800m(over a mile!)?

so 6m is closer to 20ft but im planing on just making a square 1m so its about the same as 30ft in 5E. I do believe the equipment is a little lacking in some ways (keep in mind is very Beta) but I think im going to house rule some different guns within the base in the game. The truth is a rifle is very long ranged in real life and range is the advantage over the staff weapon and zats. If you are worried about physical map size just cut everything in half  

48 minutes ago, noirx15 said:

so 6m is closer to 20ft but im planing on just making a square 1m so its about the same as 30ft in 5E. I do believe the equipment is a little lacking in some ways (keep in mind is very Beta) but I think im going to house rule some different guns within the base in the game. The truth is a rifle is very long ranged in real life and range is the advantage over the staff weapon and zats. If you are worried about physical map size just cut everything in half  

Oh I don't disagree, but it's hard to guess what way things should be tweaked  without knowing what they intend  for N square(s) amounts to..  Personally I gm using a vbox & arkenforge, so could actually do insane number of squares, like  the long gun's 1800m  but even the 5e ranges ime are far too long & result in the sort of asymmetrical warfare you'd expect if you had rods from god vrs nazi germany in d&d because of stealth/cover/etc & the prevalence of non-ranged opponents.  With ranged weapons being more prevalent  in the stargate series (and presumably the game?) it might mitigate some of the asymmetrical warfare problems d&d has  but still wind up having to count a hundred(s) plus squares

I'm also with you on tweaking weapons, I'd like to see some subjective choices baked in... either something like 4e's weapon properties or 3.5/pf's crit mod/crit range if not something pf2-like  with weapon properties being affected by/needed by various feats & such.  5e's "do I want my hurt stick to be d6 or d8" choice takes away a lot of room for the gm to make laterally powerful/interesting gear that might not be objectively stronger..

Yeah i see what you mean I'm taking it as test it and see for now. I'm probably going to give the "snub" to the P90 as a base. 

I really like the idea of using some pathfinder/3.5 weapon properties to make things different maybe using pathfinder 2E with special properties depending on the type of weapon.  

15 hours ago, tetrasodium said:

I'm a bit unsure on how to convert movement to a grid map.  most(all?) the races have a base speed of 6m & that translates well to ~5 feet  (so 1 square?), but I'm not sure being limited to moving one square/round would work out.  A lot of things have 1m ranges though ... does that mean you can throw a grenade 20 squares, shoot a sidearm 50/100 squares, & shoot a long arm an  incredible 200/1800m(over a mile!)?

Do you have an existing map you are trying to convert?  Maps for this system would be easy with 1 square = 1 meter.  There are no miles.  It's kilometers.  😉

If you are using an existing grid that's already in 5' squares then each square would be 1.5 meters for conversion.  And yes, 6 meters is 20' movement.  If you want 5e's 30' movement you would need 9m moves.  

As long as 1 square equals 1 meter then the 20 meter range on the grenade would be 20 squares.  As for the long arm, that's a long range shot and well under the current world record for a sniper shot at 3540m with a confirmed kill.  Keeping that range in perspective, if the longarm is shooting over 200m with +2 proficiency and +3 DEX bonus against the same opponent in a tactical vest and tactical helmet it's AC 20.  With disadvantage the likelihood of even hitting the target is low.  The longarm can be upgraded with a scope to remove long range disadvantage and then the shooter would have a 30% chance to hit that AC.  Then the shot would not drop the target even if it did hit based on the 20+ hp PC's start with.

The number looks good but the mechanics don't make it realistic until the attack bonus has increased and feats can increase the damage.  It looks like it takes some investment to make a sniper with longarms workable.

First impression and subject to user error, of course.

6 hours ago, Ashrym said:

Do you have an existing map you are trying to convert?  Maps for this system would be easy with 1 square = 1 meter.  There are no miles.  It's kilometers.  😉

If you are using an existing grid that's already in 5' squares then each square would be 1.5 meters for conversion.  And yes, 6 meters is 20' movement.  If you want 5e's 30' movement you would need 9m moves.  

As long as 1 square equals 1 meter then the 20 meter range on the grenade would be 20 squares.  As for the long arm, that's a long range shot and well under the current world record for a sniper shot at 3540m with a confirmed kill.  Keeping that range in perspective, if the longarm is shooting over 200m with +2 proficiency and +3 DEX bonus against the same opponent in a tactical vest and tactical helmet it's AC 20.  With disadvantage the likelihood of even hitting the target is low.  The longarm can be upgraded with a scope to remove long range disadvantage and then the shooter would have a 30% chance to hit that AC.  Then the shot would not drop the target even if it did hit based on the 20+ hp PC's start with.

The number looks good but the mechanics don't make it realistic until the attack bonus has increased and feats can increase the damage.  It looks like it takes some investment to make a sniper with longarms workable.

First impression and subject to user error, of course.

No specific map converting, just uncertain the intent since I didn't see anything like phb 192's each square represents x distance. 😄

image.png.d02cc804c5fc5ca20385af172caac660.png

3 minutes ago, tetrasodium said:

No specific map converting, just uncertain the intent since I didn't see anything like phb 192's each square represents x distance. 😄

image.png.d02cc804c5fc5ca20385af172caac660.png

A person needs to be cautious with some of the rules still too.  There are inconsistencies in the skills and some carry over language from 5e SRD.  Everything's in meters so meters is the scale.

• Like 1