STL Files

AllyssaGrace

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I printed the iconics and the gate/rings last week on my Form 2. Mostly good, though pretty much impossible to print the staff weapon on the jaffa without them breaking. Their just too thin. Im going to have to replace them with brass rod. The combat knives were not as bad but close. I think these were made to look better as 3d models than functional prints in some ways. I have one of the ghould and jaffa sets to do next and am really worried about all of the staff weapons. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, nesbit37 said:

I printed the iconics and the gate/rings last week on my Form 2. Mostly good, though pretty much impossible to print the staff weapon on the jaffa without them breaking. Their just too thin. Im going to have to replace them with brass rod. The combat knives were not as bad but close. I think these were made to look better as 3d models than functional prints in some ways. I have one of the ghould and jaffa sets to do next and am really worried about all of the staff weapons. 

The staff weapons don't print out even with resin? Have you tried scaling the models up a bit? For my FDM I was going to try a .15mm nozzle to tease a bit more detail and try scaling up failing that. 

I considered buying the STLs, but I play with friends virtually so it didn't make sense to me. I only use an FDM printer myself, and have over the past few months started seriously printing minis for an in person DnD game. In my limited experience (big caveat: I've never looked at the models released for this game), if a model is not meant for FDM, it's going to be hard to print on an FDM printer. However, there are some tricks you can try

• Slow down your print speed. Seriously. I get excellent prints on my Ender 3 with 50 mm/s normally, but run minis at no higher than 20 mm/s unless they were meant for an FDM printer.
  • Play around with support settings. Tree supports are fantastic for small models like minis. Another trick for a model with a lot of detail is to rotate it 45 degrees back so it is on its back while printing, and support it from the back. This helps to ensure any little bits that stick out in front like pouches or similar don't need to be connected to supports. I use Cura, which has a free plugin in its marketplace for adding supports to a model wherever you would like.
  • Figure out exactly what temperature to use. I managed to get a decent (not perfect, but well within tolerance for what I needed) of 90 degrees for about half an inch without a support because the filament was coming out at a cold enough temperature that it hardened almost instantly. I use this model whenever I use a new filament to really fine tune the temperature of the filament: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3329956 . That made the difference between minis that look like Devin's photos and ones that came out perfectly (again, I'm not printing the Stargate models, I'm printing miniatures for DnD, so I can't give specific help on these models).
  • Open blender or some other 3d modeling software and make some alterations to some of the thinner fiddly bits that break off. I had a model I was trying to print recently where the character had an arm up in the air. I tried 3-4 times printing it as-is before I finally replaced the arm with a thicker one that blended in with the rest of the model, and that made a huge difference without compromising on how it looked.
  • You might need to print something like a staff weapon separately and glue it on later with something like gorilla glue.
  • If you're new to your printer or the filament you're working with, figure out what settings you need to get something like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2806295 printing cleanly (do the temperature tower first so you have one less setting to tune).

Hopefully that's helpful to someone! 🙂
If I decide to buy any of the STLs myself I'll let you guys know what my experiences are with printing them on my Ender 3!

On 10/9/2021 at 7:45 PM, nesbit37 said:

They print out, they're just too thin and break as soon as you start trimming things.. Thinner than the resin supports. I don't want to scale up the models, well, they would then be out of scale.

What if you were to scale all of the models the same amount? Say 10% or so? (Once again, I've never actually seen what they look like, so maybe that's impractical. I'm just thinking out loud)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aranduran said:

What if you were to scale all of the models the same amount? Say 10% or so? (Once again, I've never actually seen what they look like, so maybe that's impractical. I'm just thinking out loud)

I don't think 10% would be enough, and the models are quickly going to just get too big (at least too big for me).  The Stargate model itself is already the entire width of the print bed so I can't scale that up to match the models.  Here is an example image of the jaffa printed with what little staff is left on him that isn't broken.  The small piece on the left of the image is a piece of support from the model just to show you how much thicker it is and how thin the staff weapons are.hopj4BQ.jpg

Oof sorry to hear that. I figured I'd throw in my input in case it was useful. Doesn't sound like it was. If you did end up going the route of scaling everything, you might be able to separate the gate into 3-4 prints. Would be a real pain and probably not worth it.

I don't suppose you can print the staff separately and cut it and glue it onto the hands? The staff would still be oversized, but maybe a disproportionately large staff isn't the worst approach?