Many questions, one answer?

Targalf

As a Scout you get almost all weapons types and most of the training you need by level 5. You should have good Dexterity and Wisdom scores because of your skills and a good Constitution score because of your saving throws. Through character creation you have an idea of where your character came from and what he /she did before joining SGP and you select your backgrounds and additional skills accordingly. Now that you have attained level 5 and have been out in the field a few times, you find the need for other skills which you have the Mission Points to buy, but there is one problem, you don't have the necessary requirement(s).  Now here is the question though the answer may be obvious to some but not all.

The requirement for Advanced Training: xxx lists an Ability score of 13 +, and then a skill. Example: Advanced Training: Diplomat, the requirements are Charisma 13+, Persuasion. Does the person who wants the Inspire ability awarded by this training have to have both the ability score and the skill or just one of those listed? 

Another example is Vanguard with a listed requirement: Stealth and Survival

I may be wrong but after reading the two examples, I think it would be ability score or the skill.

My comparison was the way the text was written.  Ability score, feat, not feat and feat.

Example: Requirement: Wisdom 13+, Medicine

Not Requirement: Wisdom 13+ and Medicine

So if a scout didn't have medicine in their origin and didn't chose it as a bonus feat at creation, how would they be able gain the "first aid" feat in later training? And I'm not talking about adding facilities bonus. How would the scout apply first aid, with any proficiency, to a downed medic at higher levels?

15 hours ago, Targalf said:

My comparison was the way the text was written.  Ability score, feat, not feat and feat.

So if a scout didn't have medicine in their origin and didn't chose it as a bonus feat at creation, how would they be able gain the "first aid" feat in later training? And I'm not talking about adding facilities bonus. How would the scout apply first aid, with any proficiency, to a downed medic at higher levels?

If it's a choice between alternatives, it will say OR.  The presence of a comma in a list lacking "or" is read as being equivalent to "and". You are correct however that stylistically the lists of prereqs should be written in an identical fashion.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now for another question. Let's say the scout has now gained level 5 on the scout path and one of his/her skills is "Persuasion". If that scout had a Charisma of 13+ would that scout be allowed to take "Advanced Training: Diplomat" from the general feats listing? It would sure be helpful during an infiltration mission.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, Targalf said:

Skill Proficiency feat, page 88 to get the Medicine proficiency if they don't have it already.

REQUIREMENTS
  Most feats have a requirement, which are ability scores or other feats that must be purchased before a character is eligible to select the feat.
  Some feats have an ability score requirement, such as Dexterity 13+. In this case the ‘+’ means any ability score of 13 or higher qualifies to purchase the feat.
  If a skill , tool, or weapon is listed as a requirement, then a character must be proficient in the noted skill, tool, or weapon to purchase the feat.
  Other feats simply list a required feat or ability, such as “Inspire.” Only characters who already possess the required feat or ability qualify to purchase these feats.
pgn 83 of the book.
If it is listed in the Requirements, they must meet all the requirements in them, they are not optional unless specifically indicated.
In the explanation, each thing is separated by a full stop and tells you that if it appears in the requirements you must comply with it, so if there is more than one, you must comply with all of them.