Portable DHD

Hellfist

a portable DHD on the malp that requires a laptop to use to dial but requires to be connected to the gate to power it, this only works if the world they open to does not have a DHD of it's own other wise it would default to that DHD first or could be overridden by a hand held one that some of the Goa'uld and others had. As i thought with technology as it is this is not too far-fetched, the MALP might even require a naquada powwer source to boost the out put to run the gate or have a special MALP that already has one built in with the device and onboard dial device integrated. It would not be a standard issue and only deployed in case the team was on a planet that didn't have a dial device.  

Well, i remember that there were other devices that would let a person dial out by passing the DHD they where small and hand held, but i would think that the one made like at SG! would only work if there was not one already connected, much like the manual dialing they did in many of the shows.  

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I was thinking that in a homebrew campaign, the SGU storyline had already been resolved, and KINOs were in common use. The KINOs would have the ability to have functionality added, and one of the earliest modifications by the SGC, was adding portable DHD function, just in case something happened to the DHD on a given planet, and the team needed an alternate means to dial home.

Well there were many different devices that did this a small ring like device on a finger, a small disk that attaches to the gate, and a bracelet of a sort on the hand that could open one. I would say that the finger one could hold one address at a time, the bracelet maybe 4 max, and the disk has its own power source that lets you dial whatever address you want, but has limited charges say 1d4 if found max 4, also has to be programmed elsewhere so requires a second device that it has to dock with to be programed. 

Now with the human devices, i say a malp with a detachable control tablet could be used to dial up, the malp having to be attached to the gate my means of power cords/clamped to it. Then this could drain the malp of a lot of power so could only do it say 6 or so times before needing the battery replaces as it burns out the power cells and causes the battery to be damaged and unable to charge. Other wise you run the risk 1 in 6 chance of it doing so each time this chance increases until 6 is reached and burns it out. (I.E. first time 1 in 6, seconded time 1-2 in 6, third time 1-3 in 6 and so on). Having a naquada generator negates the power drain on the malp and burn out of the robotic probes battery, this can be used and connected as an auxiliary power source to the unit in this task. When doing this there is no real limit of the number of uses, also if the tablet is lost or damaged a manual dial can always be done as long as a power source is attacked.