Mal

So I've been thinking about combat and I feel like it needs to have enough depth to be stay interesting. So I want to out a few concepts I feel should be in the game. 

Flanking

In 5e, you flank when two character are in melee range on opposite sides of the target. 

In stargate, I think flanking should be a bit more potent. You should be able to flank at 90 degrees and from range.

This could be overwritten by specific class abilities.

Suppression

You should be able to trade ammunition per round for a standing attack against an area and force targets to take cover. There would need to be mechanics to handle targets evading your fire, probably a Dex check. Equally,being able to pin the players down might be useful and good for RP.

Multi-attack

Some classes and weapon combos should be capable of attacking multiple targets if they are in proximity to one another. Damage could be spread between them or separate rolls made as in D&D 5e.

Damage

Gun damage usually relates to calibre and ammunition and this could get really messy really quick. Qualities like 'armour piercing' also make it a bit more complex but need to be accounted for. Different calibres would presumably be different damage dice. I don't know how AP would play in that environment.

Can you guys think of any other concepts or issues relating to combat mechanics.

• 3 months later...

OK here is my 4 suggestions but first I need to explain some terms

Cover - A barrier that protects against both incoming fire and can provide concealment. 

Concealment - Hides the creature but does not protect the creature from incoming fire, like a bush or tall grass. So I would treat D&D 5e half cover and 3/4 cover bonus to AC as types of concealment.  So taking these into consideration we can get into your questions

Flanking

"When you attack a creature from a direction that is not protected by Cover, you gain advantage on those attack rolls.  Targets that have concealment still obtain the increase in AC provided by that Concealment"

Example - Bill attacks a Jaffa who is standing in the open without any cover or concealment from a concealed position that provides Bill 3/4 cover. In this instance Bill would have advantage on all his attack rolls made against that Jaffa.  If the Jaffa attacks Bill, then the Jaffa would  have advantage on his attack rolls but Bills "AC" is 5 points higher due to the concealment he has. If Bills Concealment also provided cover then the Jaffa would not have either advantage or disadvantage but would still need to meet Bills increased AC

The idea is to make player choose their cover wisely and not get caught in the open!

Suppression

Suppression should be a way to impose disadvantage on your opponents attack rolls or completely remove their ability to return fire. However to effectively suppress a target you need to fire enough rounds down range so it should tied to how many time a creature is shot at during a turn. 

A Wisdom save to ignore the suppression could be used as you keep your cool under the hail of fire.  Another Idea is that a weapon could have the suppression attack feature which uses an attack action to instantly cause the affected creature to save against being suppressed

My example would be

"When a creature is fired upon (insert balanced number here ed 5) times in a turn or is attacked by a weapon that used the suppression feature that creature needs to check to see if they become suppressed.  Make a DC15 Wisdom Save.  On success you ignore the suppression as you keep you cool under fire. On a failure you can only make 1 attack at disadvantage on your next turn as you fire blindly in the direction of incoming fire."  

Multi Attack

Nothing wrong here totally agree.  

Damage

First thing is what are the damage types available

My thoughts would be (Ball) (Armour Piercing) (Hollow point) (Concussive) (Fire) (cold) (Electrical/lightning) (Acid) and all the other types from 5e.   

Next how do those damage types affect a creature. Creatures could have (Immune - attacks do nothing) (Vulnerable - attacks do double) (Resistant - attacks do half) (Not listed - Attacks do normal)

Damage would then be based on ammunition class.  Pistol and SMG would be a D4 or D6, Rifle a D8 or D10 A heavy weapon a D12 and explosive could be anything as they are base on how big a bang you want.

You then can make weapons fire a number of times per attack making some weapons better than other however they chew through ammo faster. here is an example of the complete damage model

Bill has a M4 carbine and the M4 has a magazine of AP loaded.  The M4 has a damage die of a D8 and is capable of firing up to 3 time per attack with the last two shot at disadvantage.  If Bill fired at a Jaffa that was resistant to Ball ammo only, Bill's AP round would inflict normal damage as it was not listed as a resistance or vulnerability.  A M4 would use rifle ammo of the 1D8 type. 

Bill is able to make two attacks per turn.  On his first attack he fires in "burst mode" which fires 3 rounds. 1 normally and the next two at disadvantage.  He  successfully hits with all 3 rounds and inflicts 3D8 + Dex damage and expend 3 ammo in the process.  Bill then uses his second attack action to repeat the process and inflicts only 1 hit of 1D8 + Dex but still expends 3 more ammo in the process.

Does that make sense?  

Edited by chewie81
Fixed some trains of thought

• 2 weeks later...

As far as damage goes, I would recommend looking at Spycraft instead of d20 modern. Example is looking at a Beretta M92FS (an M9 as most know it) and an M1911A1.

D20 Modern

M9 damage 2d6, range 40ft, Crit 20

M1911A1 damage 2d6, range 30ft, Crit 20

Spycraft

M9 damage 1d10+1, range 20ft, Crit 20, error 1-2

M1911A1 damage 1d12, Crit 19-20, error 0

Spycraft allows for a bit more variability in it’s weaponry while keeping them from getting ridiculously overpowered. It provides for a difference on the damage based on caliber without going into the deep end. And it provides an easy example for the P90. But that depends on how armor is handled in this system to determine how it would be defeated or penetrated.

• 1 month later...

It should be noted that Spycraft's range value is the size of the weapon's range increment, of which there are 10. So here, the M9 can potentially hit someone up to 200m away, though suffering a -2 penalty for every 2nd increment if I remember correctly. They also calibrated their damage scale based on real life ballistic damage mathematics.