Who's playing at Gen Con Online?

Baal'in

Event registration just went live over on Gen Con's website, so I wanted to reach out and see who all was able to sign up for the introductory episodes that will be run. I was able to get in for Episodes 1 & 3, and cannot wait to get my first proper game with the new system.

I was able to get into Episode 1 but the Episode 2 tickets sold out.  I played last year at gencon. probably episode 0, but not sure.  Where do I register my character?  I was aked to do so from the event email.

Edited by Codewolf444
  • Indeed 1

34 minutes ago, Codewolf444 said:

I was able to get into Episode 1 but the Episode 2 tickets sold out.  I played last year at gencon. probably episode 0, but not sure.  Where do I register my character?  I was aked to do so from the event email.

You might want to post a separate topic specifically asking the mods to clarify, but I believe the email they sent instructed us to use the "Play - Characters" option near the top of the website to create and log a character. Apparently, that'll create a unique code that we communicate to the GM at the time of the game...but, admittedly, I've yet to get started myself.

Got into ep 1. The info on the event page is sparse. Do I need to create a character (fully, by rules). I know i need to register a name\race\class for the event. I mean do I need a character sheet filled out? If so, where is that guide.

The file listed on the site is not a link and i can't find a file named "Quick Start Guide."

• Indeed 1

On 7/24/2020 at 11:06 PM, OmegaLazarus said:

Got into ep 1. The info on the event page is sparse. Do I need to create a character (fully, by rules). I know i need to register a name\race\class for the event. I mean do I need a character sheet filled out? If so, where is that guide.

The file listed on the site is not a link and i can't find a file named "Quick Start Guide."

I'll agree that details have been a little less than forthcoming. From what I've read, you can either create a character fully using the beta version of the rulebook (currently available in the "Downloads" section) or rely on one of their pre-gens (also located in the "Downloads" section - note that the links currently list them as "out of date," but no alternatives have been given as far as I know). Easiest way might be to take one of the pre-gen characters, change their name and backstory to something original, and then register that as your Player Character. We still have a few days before Gen Con, so we should still be able to message the session GMs with any additional questions.

I'm playing episodes 1 and 3 but couldn't get into 2.  Really looking forward to playing something new and meeting a bunch of new people  🙂

I was curious about the character creation part too.  I am not sure I'll have time to actually create a fully-fledged character before Thursday.  I haven't played anything based on D&D 5th Ed (played a lot of Living Greyhawk back in the day, but nothing since 3.5) and a Pathfinder campaign.  And since this seems to be based on 5th ed open license I feel like I'm missing the details.

I'd like to play a scientist as the characters I'm planning to create would be human, possibly Tollan.  I need to go back and watch the episodes with the Tollan though.  Part of the fun would be making the character fit in with continuity.   

• Indeed 1

21 hours ago, Baal'in said:

I'll agree that details have been a little less than forthcoming. From what I've read, you can either create a character fully using the beta version of the rulebook (currently available in the "Downloads" section) or rely on one of their pre-gens (also located in the "Downloads" section - note that the links currently list them as "out of date," but no alternatives have been given as far as I know). Easiest way might be to take one of the pre-gen characters, change their name and backstory to something original, and then register that as your Player Character. We still have a few days before Gen Con, so we should still be able to message the session GMs with any additional questions.

I'm signed up for Ep 1 and 2 on Thursday, and I don't see any Beta Core or Quick Start Rulebooks in the Downloads/Beta section - just blank character sheet and 2 playtest reports.

I was hoping that we would be able to check out the Quick Start Guide a few days before we go.

• Indeed 1

28 minutes ago, Findle said:

I'm signed up for Ep 1 and 2 on Thursday, and I don't see any Beta Core or Quick Start Rulebooks in the Downloads/Beta section - just blank character sheet and 2 playtest reports.

I was hoping that we would be able to check out the Quick Start Guide a few days before we go.

Oh, good grief...they went ahead and finally updated things a few days back. Haven't seen any announcements about the June 2020 version of the rules being no longer valid, so you might still be able to download them if you search through the forums a bit. I was able to find the Beta Rules here: 

You'll have to agree to some terms and conditions in order to access them, and, of course, if there are any official announcements about using or not using these Beta Rules during Gen Con 2020, please defer to that. Definitely hoping some of the hype from Gen Con can be capitalized upon and we'll start to see some more progress, but who knows what the future may hold.

4 hours ago, Baal'in said:

Oh, good grief...they went ahead and finally updated things a few days back. Haven't seen any announcements about the June 2020 version of the rules being no longer valid, so you might still be able to download them if you search through the forums a bit. I was able to find the Beta Rules here: 

You'll have to agree to some terms and conditions in order to access them, and, of course, if there are any official announcements about using or not using these Beta Rules during Gen Con 2020, please defer to that. Definitely hoping some of the hype from Gen Con can be capitalized upon and we'll start to see some more progress, but who knows what the future may hold.

Thank you for the link, unfortunately when I go there it indicates I don't have permission to download the file. Must be blocked to everyone but the official beta testers.

• Indeed 1

2 hours ago, Findle said:

Thank you for the link, unfortunately when I go there it indicates I don't have permission to download the file. Must be blocked to everyone but the official beta testers.

The only thing the site will let me download it the png picture and not the actual beta.

• Indeed 1

5 hours ago, Iesha Dover said:

The only thing the site will let me download it the png picture and not the actual beta.

I figured it out -you have to click the 'Join' button in the top right of that page, then you'll have a statement you have to agree to, then once you're joined click 'Files' from the top menu and you can download the beta.

• Indeed 1

9 hours ago, Findle said:

I figured it out -you have to click the 'Join' button in the top right of that page, then you'll have a statement you have to agree to, then once you're joined click 'Files' from the top menu and you can download the beta.

Sorry...forgot that I signed up for the public beta quite some time ago. Check your Gen Con messages, as it looks like they're finally reaching out with some detailed instructions. I'll be sitting down to create and register my character tonight...pretty excited!