Suggestions

Iki

An idea

Weapon Proficiencies:

The list of weapons is endeless and there for not all character can be proficient in all of the common weapons.

There for I suggest to remove the Armor and weapon proficiencies and replace them with a specific number of Combat proficiencies to choose from at creation.

The following list is a suggestion:

Amor  – Light

Armor – Heavy

Axes

Axes – Heavy

Blades

Blades – Heavy

Blowgun

Bludgeon

Bludgeon – Heavy

Bows

Clawed Weapons

Crossbows

Explosives

Flails

Flails - Heavy

Flamethrowers

Flexible Weapons

Heavy Weapons

Hooked Weapons

Hooked Weapons – Heavy

Knifes

Long-arms

Polearms

Shield

Side-arms

Slings

Spears

Throwing Weapons

Throwing Weapons – Heavy

Unarmed Strikes

Vehicle – Missile Weapons

Vehicle – Projectile Weapons

Wrestling

Tool Proficiencies:

I would give each class 1 fixed tool proficiency and a fixed number of chosen proficiencies at creation (this list could be class depended),

Vehicles could also be added to that list.

Aircraft

Aircraft – Gliding (ULM, Delta Flying)

Aircraft – Heavy

Bike

Camo Kit

Climbing Kit

Communications

Computer

Drone (U.A.V, MALP, Stargate Destiny Kino drones)

Engineering Kit

Helicopter & hovering aircraft

Landcraft – Heavy (Buss, truck, tank)

Landcraft (Car, Van, also hovering landcraft)

Med Kit

Motorcycle

Multi-Tool

Outbreak Kit

Pan-Cultural Wardrobe

Parachute & Parapente

Research Kit

Scuba gear

Sensors (Radar, Sonar, space sensors,…)

Spacecraft

Spacecraft – Heavy

Submersible

Submersible – Heavy

Surgery kit

Translator

Transporter Asgard

Watercraft

Watercraft – Heavy

Watercraft – Manual

Watercraft – Sailing

Edited by Iki

The list of weapons may be endless but the general categorization you could do about them is shorter and use it to sort proficiencies out. Weapon proficiency (melee) could cover axes, blades, bludgeons, flails,...; weapon proficiency (hurled) could include bows, crossbows, slings, thrown weapons, blowguns,... Weapon proficiency (handguns) would qualify a character with pistols, revolvers, etc. while Weapon proficiency (longarms) would comprehend rifles, shotguns and submachine guns. Weapon proficiency (heavy weapons) could include flamethrowers, machineguns, RPGs, missile launchers,...

And for vehicles, with a few skills would be enough. Boating for handling waterbound vehicles, Piloting for airbound (or spacefaring) vehicles and Driving for landbound vehicles. Finally, drones could be handled by either a specific check from the previous skills or having a proper one (such as Remote Controlling).

This isn't 3.5; it's 5e, where they double down on the less is more concept.

As you'll note from the origins chapter, pilot is a general "operate vehicle X" skill, so anything that tries to granulate that is going to get passed. Similarly weapons aren't going to get that treatment either because the devs have repeatedly stressed they're trying to avoid the combat focus of D&D.

Unarmed, melee, hurled (ie, anything muscle powered, including bows & grenades), ranged 1h, ranged 2h, heavy/tactical (crew-served or requiring a backpack), and vehicular are all you really need,

The list of weapons may be endless but the general categorization you could do about them is shorter and use it to sort proficiencies out. Weapon proficiency (melee) could cover axes, blades, bludgeons, flails,...; weapon proficiency (hurled) could include bows, crossbows, slings, thrown weapons, blowguns,... Weapon proficiency (handguns) would qualify a character with pistols, revolvers, etc. while Weapon proficiency (longarms) would comprehend rifles, shotguns and submachine guns. Weapon proficiency (heavy weapons) could include flamethrowers, machineguns, RPGs, missile launchers,...

And for vehicles, with a few skills would be enough. Boating for handling waterbound vehicles, Piloting for airbound (or spacefaring) vehicles and Driving for landbound vehicles. Finally, drones could be handled by either a specific check from the previous skills or having a proper one (such as Remote Controlling).

As you'll note from the origins chapter, pilot is a general "operate vehicle X" skill, so anything that tries to granulate that is going to get passed. Similarly weapons aren't going to get that treatment either because the devs have repeatedly stressed they're trying to avoid the combat focus of D&D.

Unarmed, melee, hurled (ie, anything muscle powered, including bows & grenades), ranged 1h, ranged 2h, heavy/tactical (crew-served or requiring a backpack), and vehicular are all you really need,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand where you are going with your comments. But from my perspective there is notting wrong with a longer list. It could be even intresting in many cases where you are in a possition that you cannot use firearms (or only wpecific weapons are availible), or when there is a character that wants to create a more melee/unarmed oriented kind of character. On many of these moments these characters can shine because they have a proficiency that others do not have. A good way to handle it would be like the Ultramodern5redux (Also 5e) handles it (I removed the Super heavy weapon proficiency and added the unarmed and vehicle weapons):

Simple weapons (knife, baton, brass knuckles)

Martial Melee weapons (every time you pick this proficiency you may select 2 martial melee weapons)

Martial Ranged Weapons (every time you pick this proficiency you may select 2 martial ranged weapons)

Small arms one-handed

Small arms two-handed

Heavy weapons

Unarmed combat (unarmed strikes and grappling)

Vehicle mounted weapons

If you read the rules I assumed there is only 1 skill that governs operating all sorts vehicles and that is the Pilot skill.

That doesn't make any sense.

And Bahamuds skill list for vehicles sounds a good and simple solution.

I know the devs are trying to avoid the combat focus of D&D, but that may be more difficult than you think.

All the series are filled with a lot of combats and there for combat it is as much a part of it as discovery.

In addition there are a great diversety of gaming groups out there.

Some like combat a lot and others dont, others are in the middle and like a mix of the 2.

Some like simple weapon lists and others like an extensive list to choose from.

I personally think it is a dangerous path to follow to limit on that account.

To make a profitable game in my eyes is to make so that all sorts of groups find the game attractive so that they buy it.

A great and simple way of handeling this is to use the D&D 5e weapon statistics/properties so that other players/GM's can use their Dnd 5e books as resources for weapons or some items.

The game can than offer the statistics of some martial melee/ranged weapons (mentioning that they can use the DnD 5e melee weapons if they want to expand the list) and offer the statistics of  more modern and scifi weapons.

I'm a GM for a long time and if one of my players wants to play a katana wielding bad ass martial artist fighting the Guauld that is fine by me.

I will do everyting in my power to make sure that player has the right game experience so that he enjoys the game and keeps comming back.

The above is not indended as a critic or that I imply that your idea of an RPG game is wrong, it is just to ilustrate that there are different kind of GM's/Players out there.

Edited by Iki

Made a character using my house rules.

Origin: Martial Artist and Underwater

Combat proficiencies: Each Class gains a number proficiencies that can be spend on Armor and Weapon proficiencies.

Tool Proficiencies: Each Class gains 1 fixed tool proficiency

They receive a number of Tool proficiencies that they can choose from.

All classes gain 2 extra tool proficiencies

Vehicles are tool proficiencies

Different weapon proficiency list:

Archaic weapons (Select 6 archaic ranged/melee weapons each time you pick this proficiency, unarmed strike is a weapon)

Armor  – Light

Armor – Heavy

Flamethrower

Grenades/Grenade Launcher

Heavy Weapons

Longarms (includes shotguns)

RPG’s

Shields

Sidearms

Vehicle mounted weapons

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lieutenant Dranreb Ocambo

Navy Seal

Level 1 Scout

Race: Human (+10 additional HP)

Skills: Choose 2.

Recovery: Once per short rest when you heal HP (or are healed) you may gain +TD additional HP.

Galactic Seeds: Humans are so common in the galaxy that they gain advantage on all buff and persuasion checks made during first contact with any group that has not yet met visitors from another world.

Origins:

Underwater: Safe Harbour: You gain advantage on saves to avoid suffocation, unconsciousness, and panic / fear effects.

Martial Artist: Weapon Proficiency: Choose 3 weapon proficiencies from the following list: Armor, Archaic weapons.

Hit Points: 25 (Scout 10 + Human 10 +2 Con modfier)

Determination: 3

Initiative: +2

Moxie: +0

Attributes:

Str: 14 (+2)

Dex: 14 (+2)

Con: 14 (+2) (+1 from Under water Origin)

Int: 12 (+1) (+2 from Human)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Proficiency Bonus: +2

Skill Proficiencies: Athletics (Human), Acrobatics (Martial Artist), Nature (Human), Perception, Stealth, Survival

Combat Proficiencies (5): Archaic weapons (Blugeoning, Blade, Sarong, Short Blade, Throwing Blade, Unarmed), Armor Light, Sidearms, Grenades, Longarms.

Tool Proficiencies (5): Boats - Manual (rowing, canoe, raft, kayak), Camo Kit (Scout), Explosives, Scuba, Parachute.

Saving Throws: Constitution and Dexterity

Class Features:

Vanguard: You deal +1d6 additional damage with attacks against any target within 5m.

Field Hack (1): Blade Sharpening

Feats:

Blade Sharpening: Your mastery of grinding, steeling, and stropping adds +1 to the damage of your teams bladed melee weapons. In addition, you may apply your Vanguard damage to your melee attacks.

Edited by Iki

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...