Marine vs air force and space currency

Are marines going to be a thing in the game because sg1 was air force but there were several us marine teams most notably sg3 and if marines are in the game will there be any difference between them and the air force.  More combat abilities over say the abilty to fly or something like that.  Lastly is there going to be some sort of space currency so that you can say trick out your room in game with stuff from earth or off world you can buy.

3 hours ago, chpexplorer said:

Are marines going to be a thing in the game because sg1 was air force but there were several us marine teams most notably sg3 and if marines are in the game will there be any difference between them and the air force.  More combat abilities over say the abilty to fly or something like that.  Lastly is there going to be some sort of space currency so that you can say trick out your room in game with stuff from earth or off world you can buy.

I don't think that stargate ever introduced any form of currency including worlds that were advanced enough to make its development an absolute certainty.Most worlds were still in barter phases of trade,  I think the closest they came to touching on it was when they found an outpost with a holigraphic display in ancient/asgard/1-2 others that showed all the known elements plus a few more that they figured was used in trade between those civilizations in the episode Torment of Tantalus

Edit:  With that said it's probably a good idea to introduce some form of currency, probably by tech level.  A TL 0/1 civilization probably doesn't have as much vlue for naquadah or advanced metal alloys but puts a lot of value in bags of grain (ie corn/wheat/barley/rice/flour/etc) while a stable TL2/3++ civ is likely able to source their own staple foods like grains but has a lot of use for raw materials & rare elements.  That sort of table might be useful for conversion of trade goods between civs.

Edited by tetrasodium
Posted (edited)

I see. But i still feel like there should be some form of currency to buy stuff from say the lucian alliance or other cultures and people. That way you can have the really cool insert here bed or computer or movie in your room or maybe buy a place to stay in town how do you pay for the inn thats just the reason i ask

Edited by chpexplorer
  • Indeed 1
5 hours ago, tetrasodium said:

has a lot of use for raw materials & rare elements

I've only run about three episodes of a homebrew campaign, but on the few occasions trade has come up, I've usually used bars of Naquadah for pretty much this exact reason.  Also 'cause in Vala's first episode in S8 she's trading the Prometheus for a crate of it.  It feels like a good standard for a barter economy, not a full currency, but a mineral with a generally accepted value/use that can be obtained by a wide variety people by a wide variety of means

12 minutes ago, watchcrafter said:

I've only run about three episodes of a homebrew campaign, but on the few occasions trade has come up, I've usually used bars of Naquadah for pretty much this exact reason.  Also 'cause in Vala's first episode in S8 she's trading the Prometheus for a crate of it.  It feels like a good standard for a barter economy, not a full currency, but a mineral with a generally accepted value/use that can be obtained by a wide variety people by a wide variety of means

Yea it's not a bad currency, just there's a big difference between baking in a currency & having the gm need to make something up. If it's baked in then the players can look at a list & get a vague estimation for what some basics might cost if supply & conditions were not influencing it.  It's fine to do a resources ability or something instead, just they should pick something & bake it in

3 minutes ago, tetrasodium said:

Yea it's not a bad currency, just there's a big difference between baking in a currency & having the gm need to make something up. If it's baked in then the players can look at a list & get a vague estimation for what some basics might cost if supply & conditions were not influencing it.  It's fine to do a resources ability or something instead, just they should pick something & bake it in

I mean, I totally get why from a game function perspective - there's a reason why vanilla 5e has a currency baked in - but I personally Stargate as a show/setting doesn't have a galactic standard currency.  I know there's been a lot of debate about when game mechanics beat out the setting, but this doesn't feel like one of those.  Imposing a galactic standard currency to me just doesn't jive with the setting, and for the most part, all the equipment/food/rest needs that currency helps with in standard 5e are hand-waved thanks to the near endless resources of Phoenix Site in the game, and the SGC in the show.

6 minutes ago, watchcrafter said:

I mean, I totally get why from a game function perspective - there's a reason why vanilla 5e has a currency baked in - but I personally Stargate as a show/setting doesn't have a galactic standard currency.  I know there's been a lot of debate about when game mechanics beat out the setting, but this doesn't feel like one of those.  Imposing a galactic standard currency to me just doesn't jive with the setting, and for the most part, all the equipment/food/rest needs that currency helps with in standard 5e are hand-waved thanks to the near endless resources of Phoenix Site in the game, and the SGC in the show.

You misunderstand.  Right now you can look at the value we place on gasoline, a bar of naquadah, various precious metals & gemstones, rare elements used in high tech production, advanced alloys , grain prices, & so forth to make a simple chart saying an average civilization of our tech level puts a value of X pounds of gems & rare metals for Y pounds of advanced alloys & has such a low value on grain that the price for Z pounds of rare elements would be measured in tons.  Commodities are useful for trade because pretty much everyone needs them provided they are advanced enough to use them.